Guimaraes Ducal Palace, Northern Portugal
Guimaraes Ducal Palace is part of an impressive Heritage set that integrates Guimaraes Castle, São Miguel Chuch and Afonso Henriques statue.
Guimaraes Ducal Palace of Bragança is part of an impressive Heritage set that also integrates Guimaraes Castle, the Church of São Miguel and the statue of Afonso Henriques, our founder King.
This monumental core of the Guimaraes city stands together in harmony as if they all complemented each other.
The history of Guimaraes Ducal Palace
If both the castle and the church are prior to the establishment of Portugal as an independent kingdom, the Guimaraes Ducal Palace was only built in the 15th century under the orders of Afonso, the illegitimate son of king John I and Inês Pires Esteves, the 1st Duke of the House of Bragança and 8th Count of Barcelos, to celebrate his second marriage with Constance of Noronha (daughter of Afonso, Count of Gijón and Noronha) and Isabel (Lady of Viseu).
The second Duke of Bragança ordered several renovations that followed a symmetrical layout. The servants’ quarters on the first floor and the second floor that housed the Dukes chambers, structured around the chapel date from that period.
However and in spite of the renovations, Duke Fernando moved to Vila Viçosa Palace, abandoning Guimaraes and pushing the palace into a decline aggravated throughout centuries by economic and political reasons that only stopped in the 20th century, when the all complex was intervened between 1937 and 1959, after being elevated to National Monument in 1910 At the same time, where acquired the furniture and the works of art, dating from the 17th and 18th centuries, that decorate the rooms.
On June 24th 1959 the new Ducal Palace was inaugurated and opened to the public. Nowadays, part of the monument is reconverted into a Museum where we may enjoy among other treasures some amazing tapestries of Pastrana that portrait different events occurred during the North African conquests as well as a collection of Flemish tapestries by Peter Paul Rubens and other authors. At the website of the
Useful Information on Guimaraes Ducal Palace
Palace of the Dukes of Bragança, Castle of Guimaraes and Church of St. Michael:
From Tuesday to Sunday, from 10.00 h to 18.00 h
Last admission: 17.30 h
Closes Mondays and following public holidays:
1 January, Easter Sunday, 1 May and 25 December.
- Entrance fees
Sundays and holidays – until 2:00 PM*;
Children under 14 years old;
Members of APOM/ICOM, upon presentation of documentation.* The free entrance for groups is limited must be schedule (at least 8 days) by e-mail, where must be the entity identification, number of persons, the visit’s date and hour, and a contact of the group’s responsible. The authorization given by the Ducal Palace Director must be printed and shown in the Palace reception in the visit’s day.
Discount of 60%
Discount of 50%
Persons over 65 years old and handicapped
Family ticket – 50% of discount for children (sons) between 15 and 18 years old when accompanied by one of their parents;
Groups over 100 persons, acquired with minimum 24h.