Feijoada (beans and meat stew) recipe
Feijoada (beans and meat stew) recipe is absolutely delicious. It is perfect for the colder days that are coming. It goes well with a Portuguese red wine.
Feijoada (beans and meat stew) recipe is one of the most appreciated dishes of the Portuguese gastronomy. Both locals and tourists love this strongly flavoured treat.
- 500 gm. white beans
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 bay leaf
- 400 gm. ribs
- 1 blood sausage
- 1 farinheira
- 100 gm. bacon
- 2 carrots (sliced)
- 1 onion
- 50 gm. margarine
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tomatoes (cut in pieces)
- 1 branch parsley
- Salt and pepper to season
- To start with your feijoada (beans and meat stew) recipe soak the beans in cold water for about 6 hours.
- Place the beans in a cooking pot. Cover the beans with water. Add the olive oil and one bay leave. Season with salt to taste. Boil for about an hour.
- On a different cooking pot boil the ribs, the sausage, the farinheira, the bacon and the carrots.
- Chop the onion and let it brown in the margarine. Chop the garlic and the parsley. Add the garlic, the tomatoes, the parsley and the other bay leaf to the onion. Allow all ingredients to sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the meats and the carrots to the stew. Allow all the ingredients to cook for a while.
- Drain the beans and add them to the stew. Add also a cup of the water used to boil the meats.
- Season the feijoada (beans and meat stew) with pepper and let it cook for a few minutes.
- Your feijoada (beans and meat stew) recipe is now ready. You may serve it with white rice.
- To drink I advise one of the delicious Portuguese red wines. Usually these wines are bodied therefore they go well with these strong seasoned dishes.