Codfish Soufflé recipe
Codfish Soufflé is a sophisticated way of cooking codfish an ingredient that is indisputably one of the symbols of the Portuguese gastronomy.
The Codfish Soufflé is an exquisite recipe that combines the iconic Portuguese ingredient with a touch of the French cuisine as the soufflé comes from the land of the Eiffel Tower.
Codfish soufflé is a perfect dish to serve when you are having friends for dinner and it goes well with a refreshing lettuce and tomato salad.
- Codfish Soufflé
- 200 g of codfish
- 0,5 dl olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2,5 dl milk
- 50 g flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 sp cream
- 4 egg whites
- Nutmeg, butter, salt and pepper
- Leave the cod to soak, placing it on a recipient with water for 48 hours, changing the water four or five times. Leave it in the refrigerator. Take the codfish from the water and dry it. Reserve after shred it.
- In a pan place the olive oil, the onion and the garlic, both fine chopped, and let them fry lightly. Add the shredded codfish and let it cook in low fire.
- Meanwhile, boil the milk and on other recipient render the butter and sprinkled it with the flour. Let the ingredients cook for about a minute. Add the milk to the butter, slowly, and stir for about five minutes, until you get a thick sauce.
- Add the codfish lightly fried. Take the recipient out of the fire and add the egg yolks, one by one, never stop mixing. Join the cream and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Mix every ingredients and reserve.
- Sprinkle the egg whites with a pinch of salt and whip them into stiff peaks. Mix one fourth of the egg whites with the codfish reserved and, then, add the mixture to the remaining egg whites. Mix gently all the ingredients.
- Place the mixture in a soufflé pan and take it into the oven, already hot, for about 30 minutes, until the soufflé became golden. Take it from the oven and serve the codfish soufflé recipe immediately.