Car Rental in Portugal
Car Rental in Portugal is a simple process. In this post you have some recommendations that will help you to complete the process easily.
Travelling by car is a great way to discover a foreign country and Portugal is no exception. The best way to do it is by renting a car, which is a relatively easy process on what concerns bureaucracy. Besides, there are plenty of car rentals options either on the internet or locally, including at the several Portuguese airports. However, before heading for a car rental site or agency there are a few rules you might want to take a look at.
As long as your driving license uses the Roman alphabet, you may use it; if not, you will need an International Driving Permit in English. Regardless the case, you are required by law to carry it with you every time you go for a ride.
Age requirements for hiring a car
The minimum age required for renting a car may vary from car rental to car rental and you may be charged extra if you are a young driver between 18 and 24 years old. In common they all require that you have a driving license over a year ago.
- Take into consideration the additional insurances offered by the car rental. Sometimes a small extra may save you from a huge expense;
- Always keep in the vehicle the documents relating to the car, including its Insurance;
- I advise you to include a GPS system in the rental. Believe me it will be of a great assistance while driving around Portugal as in some cases the traffic signs are not reliable. Besides, it will help you to save time and fuel, thus money.
- Before signing the renting forms, check the vehicle – if possible take some pictures of the car – so you won’t be held responsible for any small damages done prior to your rental;
- Always return the vehicle on time so you won’t be charged extra.
- Don’t forget to refill the vehicle before returning it. By the way, check carefully if the car uses petrol or diesel as if you make a mistake while filling the tank you will have to pay for the damages inflicted.
Here are the main companies offering car rental in Portugal: