Caldo verde recipe – a Portuguese soup
Caldo verde is probably the most iconic Portuguese soup and it is prepared with some of the most typical ingredients of Portugal’s gastronomy.
Caldo verde soup is one of the favorite Portuguese recipes on what concerns soups. Prepared with a potatoes base, the taste of this soup is enhanced by the julienned kale and the Portuguese chorizo. Usually it is served with a slice of broa de milho, a special Portuguese corn bread.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 6 potatoes
- 2 quarts cold water
- 6 ounces chourizo sausage
- 2½ teaspoons salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound kale, rinsed and julienned
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook onion and garlic, previously minced, in 3 tablespoons olive oil for 3 or 4 minutes. Peel and thinly slice the potatoes, stir them in and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes more. Pour in the water and let it boil gently for about 20 minutes, until potatoes are mushy.
- Mash potatoes or puree them. Stir the sausage thinly sliced, salt and pepper into the soup and return to medium heat. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir kale into soup and simmer another 5 minutes, until kale is tender and jade green. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and serve immediately.