Bread and tomato soup
This bread and tomato soup is a regional dish from Portimão, one of the major cities of the Algarve, famed for its beaches and great movida.
Even though this is the traditional recipe there are some people who add some small clams to the sauté and some slices of smoked ham (finely cut).
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 kg tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1l water
- 400 grams bread (one day old)
- 4 eggs
- salt to season
- Start by peeling the onion and the garlic and then, skin the tomatoes, not forgetting to eliminate the seeds.
- Cut the mentioned ingredients in pieces and place them in a pan; add the olive oil and let the mixture boil until it thickens.
- Add the water to the above mentioned mixture, season with salt, and let it boil for a few minutes. Then poach the eggs in the soup.
- Meanwhile slice the bread and place them in a serving bowl. Put the eggs on top of the bread and pour the soup over them. Finally, the bread and tomato soup is now ready to be served.